Manchester United will host Young Boys at Old Trafford on Wednesday in the final round of the UEFA Champions League group stage.
Chelsea will be looking to secure top spot in UEFA Champions League Group H when they take on Zenit St. Petersburg.
Zenit St. Petersburg played to a 1-1 draw in their last Champions League match and have gone straight into the UEFA Europa League after the group stage. This is the third time in a row that the Russians have been eliminated in the group stage of Europe’s most elite competition.
Zenit is currently unbeaten in its last five matches in all competitions. In recent Russian Premier League matches, there was a 2-0 win against CSKA Moscow and a 2-2 draw against FC Rostov.
Zenit are top of the table and face second-placed Dynamo Moscow on Sunday. Sergei Semak’s men want to pull away from the chasing pack.
But first they want to make life as difficult for Chelsea FC as they did in the first Group H game at Stamford Bridge. Romelu Lukaku scored the winning goal for the Blues, but it could have been a very frustrating evening for Thomas Tuchel’s men.
Chelsea looked a little shaky in recent weeks. Some glaring individual mistakes have caused them to falter. In their last Premier League game against London rivals West Ham, they gave away a one-goal lead and lost 3-2 on Saturday.
They led 2-1 at halftime, but the Hammers hit back and Chelsea were simply overwhelmed in the second 45 minutes. Tuchel is hoping for a reaction from his team, which has slipped to third place in the Premier League table.
Zenit St Petersburg vs Chelsea Head-to-Head and Key Numbers
- Zenit St Petersburg and Chelsea have clashed just once so far and that was in the corresponding fixture this season. Chelsea won the game 1-0.
- Zenit St Petersburg have won both of their home games against English opponents so far. They beat Bradford City 1-0 in 2000 in the Intertoto Cup and Liverpool 2-0 in the 2012-13 UEFA Europa League.
- Chelsea have played three away games against Russian opponents. They have won and kept cleansheets in all three of those games.
- The game against Chelsea will be Zenit St Petersburg’s 200th European game. They will become the only second Russian club to reach the milestone after Spartak Moscow.
Zenit St. Petersburg vs Chelsea prediction
For Chelsea, there is more at stake here. For Zenit, nothing is at stake as they will enter the Europa League regardless of the result. The Blues are looking to finish first in their group. Tuchel will also expect a reaction from his players after the 3-2 defeat to West Ham United at the weekend.
Chelsea will enter with a strong team and will most likely take home all three points.
Prediction: Zenit St. Petersburg 1-2 Chelsea
The Red Devils have already secured a place in the round of 16 and are also confirmed as group winners. After the surprising 1-2 loss to Young Boys in the first match, the English side are unbeaten in four matches, winning three times and drawing once.
Manchester United are top of the group with 10 points from five games. Now they want to reduce the gap with the guests and finish the group stage as well as possible.
Young Boys defeated Manchester United 2-1 in their first match before losing three games, once to Atalanta and twice to Villarreal. In their last match, they drew 3-3 with the club from Bergamo.
Young Boys are the bottom of the group with four points. They are out of the Champions League for good, but still have a small chance to secure a spot in the Europa League with a win on Wednesday.
Manchester United vs Young Boys Head-to-Head and Key Numbers
- Manchester United have won two of their three meetings with Young Boys. The visitors have won the other one.
- Young Boys are without a clean sheet in all three meetings against the Red Devils.
- Manchester United kept a clean sheet in their last game, their first in 16 games dating back to April.
- Young Boys are winless on the road in the Champions League this season, losing both of their away games so far.
- Manchester United have scored at least one goal in every one of their Champions League outings so far.
Manchester United vs Young Boys Prediction
Manchester United have enjoyed a resurgence since the departure of Ole Gunnar Solksjaer last month. They are unbeaten in their last four games, winning three and drawing once, and will be looking to continue this strong performance on Wednesday.
Young Boys have been in poor form lately, winning just one of their last eight games in all competitions. Young Boys need a win to still have a chance at the Europa League, but that might not be enough as Atalanta also need to lose before that happens.
Both teams go into the match in different form. However, the hosts looked quite different in Ralf Rangnick’s first game in charge and could get their next win under the German.
Prediction: Manchester United 2-0 Young Boys