Frank Sanchez Hopes Win Over Negron Leads To Mandatory Fight, Title Shot in 2023

Undefeated Cuban heavyweight Frank Sanchez will be looking to make a big statement on October 15, with the idea of ​​landing a world title fight in the near future.

Sánchez will clash with Carlos Negron on the undercard of Deontay Wilder’s clash with Robert Helenius at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn.

Sánchez (20-0, 13 KOs) will participate in his second fight with renowned trainer Joe Goossen. Last October, he scored the best victory of his career, defeating previously undefeated Efe Ajagba en route to a unanimous decision win. And in January, he outpointed Christian Hammer over ten rounds to win a dominant decision.

The Cuban stylist is a huge favorite, but he is not taking Negron lightly.

“Carlos Negron is a dangerous opponent, but I will be ready for whatever he brings. I intend to seek a knockout against Negrón to show boxing fans that I am a boxer and a puncher,” Sánchez said.

“I feel like I am the best heavyweight in the world and October 15 will bring me one step closer to the very important goal of becoming a mandatory contender for a world title opportunity in 2023.”

Negron (25-3, 20 KOs), a 2008 Puerto Rican Olympian, was initially scheduled to fight Sanchez in January. He was forced to retire after testing positive for COVID-19. Negron is on a five-fight winning streak and is currently training alongside dangerous heavyweight Luis Ortiz.

“I know Frank, and I’ve never been a boxer to call out other fighters or talk about any other fighter, so I don’t know why he asked to fight me,” Negron said.

“When my trainer told me he wanted to fight me, I didn’t take it personally. I took it as a challenge. He gave me incredible motivation, and now I want to fight him. Let’s see what I can do against the good competition. I have always given my best against better opponents. So come on October 15, let’s see who’s the best.”

Scroll to Top